The awaited Spring/Summer 14 Collection from the young designer Chika Iwenofu, ‘PunkAfrique’ will be unveiled on the 15th September 2013 during London . The show will mark the start of the young designer’s pursuit to support and inspire young people who are looking for a career in the fashion industry with the help of the new Traineeship Programme, which was created by the designer.
The young London based designer, Chika Iwenofu, will debut her collection which features a collaboration with a group of 16-24 year olds who are struggling to find employment in London. The program aims to address the growing issue of youth unemployment by allowing young people the chance to gain the skills and experience needed to become self-employed, progress onto apprenticeships, or permanent employment.
‘Chika Couture’ is in partnership with training provider BOCK Consultancy based in South London, to deliver the traineeship to young people who are aged between 16-24, unemployed and have not achieved above level 2 qualifications (GCSE’s).This UK Government funded programme was launched on the 1st August and has since attracted an immense amount of interest from young people in London.
The core aim of the Traineeship Programme is to address unemployment by providing those who are, by definition, not ready for employment with the key interpersonal skills and experience needed to survive in the world of work, become self-employed, and move onto apprenticeships or further education.
At the moment, 1 in 4 young people are unemployed in London (25.5% or around 126,000), making London one of the worst places for youth unemployment in the whole of the UK. Within the Traineeship, participants will learn how to create and run their own fashion label and have the opportunity for their design’s to be showcased and available for purchase on the online store http://www.chikacouture.com.
Nominated for The Guardian’s ‘Croydon Champions Awards’ in 2012 and ‘Fashions Finest Graduate Designer of the Year’ Award in 2011, Chika Couture has grown from strength to strength and her Spring/Summer’13 Collection was showcased at The Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southbank last September as part of the African Music Festival receiving fantastic reviews and inspiring Chika to continue the pursuit of her career within the fashion industry.
Chika, now in her first year at Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design, takes pride in her Nigerian heritage and her S/S14 collection titled ‘PunkAfrique’ will feature graphic and colourful West African prints with a punk twist, guaranteed to steal the show whatever the occasion.
Tickets to the show are FREE and can be found at http://fashionsfinest.com/events-tickets/tickets.
Ciao Bellas xoxo
- Style Guide From Delhi Couture Extravaganza (fashionmostwanted.com)
- Made in Malta (patronmagazine.me)
- Fashion industry start-ups: from the kitchen table to The Catwalk (theformationscompany.com)
- App World Wednesday: Avoid Fashion Flubs with These 5 Apps (blogs.blackberry.com)
- Tumisola Ladega Dominates Africa Fashion Week London – London, United Kingdom! (fabsculture.wordpress.com)
- India Bridal Fashion Week heads to London in 2014 (vancouverdesi.com)
- Bespoke Binny does African Fashion Week London 2013 (bespokebinny.wordpress.com)
- Manolo Blahnik of Spain to Have London Fashion Week Debut (hispanicallyspeakingnews.com)
- Actress Chika Ike divorced (vanguardngr.com)
- Traineeships to help young get jobs (bbc.co.uk)