The Nigerian Senate just approved language that would remove the protection for young women and girls from repeatedly being raped in the guise of early marriage. New York-based Guttmacher Institute‘s study reports that the Nigerian authorities have been failing to implement sexual health education for decades and now, the Nigerian Senate has made it part of the Nigerian Constitution to give adult men the right to take any young girl as a wife, even as young as ten years old.
Here is the senate’s new rule: “The Nigerian Senate also resolved to alter Section 29 (a) of the constitution that stipulates that a woman shall not be qualified for marriage until she attains the 18 years as they deleted age specification for women being married from the draft constitution and left the marriage age for women open. The Senate claimed that a woman is deemed to be “full of age” once she is married irrespective of the age she did so.”
We need your help to get ACTION from the United Nations to stop the government of Nigeria from this grave injustice!
Help our young girls grow up to reach their God-given potential.
Please sign the petition @:
- Nigerians are Generally Complainants- David Mark (atiterkula.wordpress.com)
- Senate Approves Marriage for Underage Children (homezonemedia.wordpress.com)
- ERECT YOUR CONSCIENCE, NOT YOUR PENIS (#ChildNotBride! poem by Kukogho Iruesiri Samson) (angrypoets4women.wordpress.com)
- Ndume ~ Half Of Us In Senate Own Guns (leactualiteblog.wordpress.com)
- Marriage for All Ages (desolaosota.wordpress.com)
- Senate Mourns As Senator Pius Ewherido Dies At 51 (naija2day.wordpress.com)
- Press Statement on the Passing of Nigeria’s ‘Jail the Gays’ Bill (nigerianlgbtindiaspora.wordpress.com)
- Senate Condemns Planned Arming Of Vigilante Groups In Zamfara (naija2day.wordpress.com)
- Marriage SMS – Nigerian SMS (nigeriansms.wordpress.com)
- Constitution Ammendment – Yerima Makes Senate Back Underage Marriage (thenigerianoracle.com)